Clear all

How to lessen strain on knees?  

RSS

paul-y
Active Member Customer
08/09/2019 9:19 am  

Hey, 

I'm requesting any tips you have to lessen strain on knees when dancing 🙂 

I'm practicing lots of pivots, e.g. loose legs, and I'm starting to feel some knee pain. For me in this case, I think the pain stems in large part from bad habits. So probably solvable! Knee pain is really scary so I thought I might ask around here for input as I bet its not uncommon. Hope this might help someone else too 

paul-y
Active Member Customer
11/09/2019 10:31 am  

Update: 

I've noticed that I tend to use my upper leg muscles and relaxing the rest of the leg when pivoting making the leg behave kind of like a string being plucked. While it looks kind of cool it causes a lot of tension on the knees as they take all the force when the leg can't rotate any more during the pivot. If I try and make the movement propagate from my core if feels more controlled and hurts way less. Balance and movement efficiency helps as well 🙂   

This post was modified 10 months ago 2 times by paul-y

ReplyQuote
Jardy Santiago
Hot Dog Admin
11/09/2019 10:58 pm  

Hey Pauly! For me, keeping my movements light helps a lot. I do this by staying higher on the balls of my feet, always keeping at least a slight bend to my knees, and avoiding stomping down on the ground too much. Doing a softer style will definitely help you out a lot. Also, dancing on non-sticky floors is essential. When the body moves around with your feet sticking to the floor, it can cause a lot of twisting and stress on your knees. Hope this helps!

Amnesiac and jasey.me liked
ReplyQuote
Tide
 Tide
Active Member Customer
09/04/2020 3:26 pm  

Ive been having knee issues for awhile and so I tend not to use the ball of my left foot. What has helped is really good shoes, Jardy recommended the Flyknit 2s, and let me tell you those make a world of difference.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Skip to toolbar